Ann Voskamp: Honey for the Soul

Ann Voskamp became very popular a few years ago with the debut of her book “OneThousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are.”   She has wisely used and boosted that popularity with a very nicely laid out and intentional blog.  I have several friends that read her work fervently and I often will follow links I find on Facebook to blogs that peak my interest.

I love Ann Voskamp’s website and blog.  Her writings are almost poetic and the heart of the words are always inspiring.  Her site is very inviting and easy to navigate.  Her pictures are exquisite and I love to look at them.  I do however feel that at times her blogs get too wordy and I often loose interest, but that has not stopped me from coming often to glean wisdom from her writings.  One of my favorite features on her site is her free tools tab.  I have used everything from her beautiful downloads called “StickyNotes for the Soul” to her Jesse Tree ornaments which our family uses to teach the meaning of Christmas to our children.

Her blogs are very honest.  Ann’s vulnerability is something that I think connects her to her audience. I think people value and admire her honesty.  Her site always has something fresh and thought provoking to read. 

There is often beauty in her words that I do really love.  My favorites are from her about page:

            “…but honestly? the only words that really matter?
            Are the ones I live.
            This convicts me.
            I keep writing it out here everyday, the words I am seeking to live—about this 
wondrously messy, everyday-holy life….
about finding the beauty and quiet,
about slowing to see the sacred in the chaos,
the Cross in the clothespin,
the flame in the bush.
Just listening—laundry, liturgy, life, -- all of life, holy ground. A holy experience because 
God has flaming bushes everywhere.
It’d be pure grace to walk a bit, you and I – to live the words together…”


It really feels like you are living those words together when you read her work.  I think that is the secret to her success as a blogger and as an author.

Comments

Popular Posts